Monday, December 14, 2009

The eyes of a chid, as seen by the eyes of an adult.

I really have no idea why I started thinking this, but for some reason I recalled how Christ's sacrifice was explained to me way back in the day. I don't recall exactly how old I was at the time, but I was young enough that my parents considered dwelling on death a touchy subject. This is how it was explained to me: It is like I had done something wrong, and was going to get my butt cracked. Then my mother would be like don't spank him, I will take his punishment.
Honestly it confused me. My mind somehow put together, I had done something wrong, and that mom was going to take the blame. As I was thinking about it, I thought how naive that explanation was, that a spanking hardly compared, but as I started to write out my thoughts I found something to cling to. My confusion as a child. My mother being spanked for me, makes no sense. Yet somehow I take Jesus's sacrifice for granted, Ive heard it a hundred times. And somewhere, in that span of time the "novelty" wore off.
Don't get me wrong I still think it was awesome, and a big deal, and it saved my butt, but I lost my confusion at it not making any sense. It is foolish and dumb, and why would anyone ever do that? (see 1 Cor 1:18-31) That is some seriously potent love. And how much more so now? Now that I have started to understand the magnitude of my transgressions.
Honestly spankings I can handle, I could be cracked all day, and I could live with it. I could be grounded, or scolded, or chastised, or put in time out, and as much as I hate everyone of those things I could deal with it. It would not be an insurmountable task. These are all debts "I" can pay. But my sins? A terribly painful death? The very depths of hell? Every single sin in the world? I can't even begin to cover the cost of my own sins, let alone the worlds. That is a very scary love, that is perfect love.
Somehow the magnitude becomes a little more "relevant" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment