Thursday, November 12, 2009

Flyleaf

When I was thinking of my next possible post, I would have assumed this would be what I was going to write on. But this was impact full for me, so I'm going to brag on a band for a bit.

There is a band I listen to called Flyleaf, one of my favorite songs, is written by them it is called Cassie. You can read about how I feel about that in an earlier post. Anyway this cd was their only cd, and has been for a good 4 or more years. Needless to say I was pretty anxiously awaiting new content from them. Then they released their new cd. Now I think its important to note that Flyleaf has a huge secular following, and mostly goes unnoticed by the majority of the Christian market. Though they definitely had religious undertones.

So I listened to their new cd at work, which is where I tend to listen to most of my music, as it provides some much needed background noise, and can build me up through the day. And as I listened hearing the words a bit jarbbled and unsure of their meaning as I was hearing them for the first time, and otherwise distracted by the work I had before me. "I was like wait, they are singing about a bride, but I think they mean the church." And I thought "thats bold of them" most bands from my experience that have a mostly secular following tend to get more wishy washy, not more intense with their faith. So I went about my day not thinking that much more of it.

Then I read who they thanked in the leaflet, its just something I do. artists thank God, or Jesus giving them a brief mention, then going on to all those people they want to thank. But these dedications are soaked in sincere thanks and praise for our creator. Finally I got to reading the actual lyrics :) And I found them completely replaced with a story, a sort of war journal. And in this journal, we are told the story of to waring factions, the Passerby army and the Dread army. It is ruffly like the book Pilgrim's Progress in its symbolism, and it is by far one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. I would to post an exert

"Many of my soldiers don't know this, but I grew up in the Dread army and was a slave to death as a young man. The Dread army lives in the dark, so that is where I lived when I was with them. I loved the darkness because I could hide my plans there. I never realized that darkness is a deceptive enemy. Everyone in the Dread army is afraid of silence, so they fill every moment with empty, idle words. They all lie, so you can never truly know the genuine identity of a Dread army soldier. One night I was spying on Passerby territory when I was captured and brought before the King of the Passerby army At the foot of His throne, where I laid trembling on the ground, was the most brilliant light I'd ever seen. There was no darkness to hide in, and for the first time I saw all that I really was. The silence in tis place was immense because in the light of the King, there is nothing to say... only things to realize. I had been an enemy to this powerful King all my life and if He had sentenced me to death right there it would have been right... it would have been justice. Amidst these heavy thoughts, I was startled to feel the King's hand under my chin as He leaned down and lifted my face to His own. He spoke with love I've never known before, saying "We only want voluntary allegiance in the Passerby army. If you stay here, you will be changed and it will feel like the old you has died, or... you may remain in the darkness as a slave. Ether way, I love you, my son. You are free to choose."

As I left to go back to the Dread army camp, I questioned everything I'd ever known. I realized in the face of the King's love that all my love was selfish and not really love at all. It was true that the only way for me to be changed would be for the King to kill who I had become, and raise me up to live again, making me new"

As I said the whole thing is very impactful, and the music itself is even more powerful with the story behind it. I'm sure it isn't everyones style of music, But I would encourage you to look up atleast the lyrics (I'm not sure if you can find the story bit online) The cd is called Memento Mori and it is by Flyleaf. These were defently some words that I needed to here.

5 comments:

  1. I got the story here
    http://jesusfreakhideout.com/lyrics/new/track.asp?track_id=13083

    Its a Christian site but it has all the lyrics except they cut out "Damn the dark" from the "In The Dark" lyrics, and it has the war journal story right after each set of lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am really loving the new cd. i really respect flyleaf for their witness for Christ. so many bands i used to have respect for i cant listen to now because they have 'denied' in a sense, the faith they have in the Lord. it makes me sick.

    thank you for posting this. keep walking in the light.

    (im sure you have been there, but heres the site for flyleaf. :) www.flyleafmusic.com )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so shocked to have read someone who loves Flyleaf and their meanings! Wow! This is incredible I am going to add you to my "follow" list of Blogger. Their new CD is incredible, my favorite song on their has to be "Circle".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say my favorites are "beautiful bride" or "chasm". Yeah I don't tend to talk about music so much, and i'm not as into it as i once was but this cd stuck out to me. especially with all the flack they have gotten for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for recognizing flyleaf as a awesome christian band, none of my friends seem to realize what a gold mine flyleaf is.

    ReplyDelete