For anyone who knows me, you might notice my love for music. And when it comes to music I tend to be incredibly opinionated. Music seems to find a way to take any mood or any situation you might find yourself in, and put it to a beat. For me it makes situations completely relate able, and speaks to the heart. With this being mostly a spiritual thoughts blog, I'm going to be talking about Christian music. Being a Christian is a key characteristic of who I am, so its quite understandable to me why I would turn to this if I am looking for something that speaks to me.
So here we go. Christian music in my humble opinion has two different paths it can go down. Two major focuses, that come second after worshiping our savior. The first of these roles, and perhaps the one most of us tend to be more familiar with, is the strengthening of a believers faith. This music helps build up the believer and bring them into a closer relationship with God. They tend to be lighter in sound, and relatively upbeat. These songs tend to be praise, and are typically what one will hear if he should walk into a church, or turn on a Christian radio station. These songs in general have little to no appealing nature to anyone who isn't already a believer.
Which brings me to role number two. Ministering to unbelievers. This type of music can be less widely excepted by the church. Because it doesn't sound as spiritual in nature. And is generally played by bands more likely to play in a pub, or club, then to play in a church. And are more likely to have people jumping up and down, as opposed to shouting hallelujah. These bands often have songs that don't talk about God at all, but will instead talk about heart break, troubles dancing, whatever. Then have a song that has much more depth to it, if your just willing to listen. Some of these bands ministry might not even be their music, but look at the person standing behind the music. With the music just being the means to get you to do that.
Obviously there is overlap of these two paths, many band do intersect them quite often. But of the bands that label themselves Christian, I think you will find, most walk one of these two roads. Personally my musical preference tends to lean more towards bands that follow the second path. And in the two follow up posts I will shed a little more light onto that I think. One being songs that speak to me, and the next being bands. And of course I will explain why they do so.
No comments:
Post a Comment