Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Favorite songs that talk to me about God

These are some of my personal favorite songs that talk about God. Unlike some of my other posts this is much more personal opinion than something im going to try and back up. Also the variety of the music differs greatly. If you would like to read the lyrics I will try to post links when I can. I don't want to post full lyrics because well it will take up to much room.

Ok I'm not going to try to do a count down list, so the first song that comes to my mind is definitely my favorite. Dandelions, by Five Iron Frenzy: This song speaks to me because it shows God's love for us in an incredibly rateable way, as a mothers love for her son. Personally I don't have any children so the whole parents love thing is mostly lost on me. However I can relate to bringing my mom dandelions, and seeing the look of love on her face when she received them. As I took this common invasive weed, and handed them to her how she saw a great beauty in this gift. Then we see God looking at the offering of our life's to Him. Just weeds, something that's really pretty undesirable, if you look at what the Bible says about the things we do. But then we see how much God wants that filth that is us anyway. As I said for me this analogy just works really well.

My Will Be A Dead Man, Project86: This song talks about killing our will. Like the lyrics say "I'm not talking about killing a man...There's no showdown here besides the one that's erupting inside my head" Which would bring forth the question why would you kill your will? This is something that nobody else does. Mater of fact normally they push their will to the front past everything else. And now we aren't just talking about putting our will aside but about waging a full out war and killing it.

Amazing Because It Is, The Almost: True this is just a rendition of amazing grace (which by the way is one of my favorite church songs) But what make this version stand out, and truly shine for me. Is the fact that when you hear this it sounds incredibly dirty, and broken. Which is sorta how it should sound when your singing something like "That saved a wretch like me" Those aren't strong words, they aren't proud words. They are very humble and broken, admitting how low we are, and yes how amazing it is that God saved a wretch. I had the privilege to see this preformed live, in a group of seen kids. In my own opinion a group of really messed up people, and let me tell you it was awesome.

American Dream, Casting Crowns: I think this song brings up a very real truth, that we all experience in some fashion. Some of us have been the boy in this song, some of us have been the dad, some of us have just seen this destructive cycle in another family. But really when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter one iota what we do here in the end its nothing more than sand, or trash even. Everything we work so hard for one day is just gonna get smashed by the waves. And there are other things like family, and God that are so much more important.

It's a Wonderful Concept Isn't It, Staple: Ok this isn't even a regular song, its the hidden track on one of their albums. This song is lust being called love, and in a culture where this is more and more what relationships look like. The band with lines like "love brought us together, so sex could spend the night" aren't beating around the bush.

Cassie, Flyleaf: This song is about the columbine. As the story goes one of the shooters asked a girl if she believed in God, and if she responded yes he would shoot her. The girl responded yes, and he shot her. I did some reading up on this song a while back, and apparently theres quite a bit of doubt as to if this conversation actually took place. But you know that really doesn't matter the point behind the song is still sound. Most of us go through our life's not standing up for much of anything let alone God, and we have so much less at stake. If it came down to it would you be able to say yes, and in doing so pull that trigger?

When You Were Young, The Killers: To my knowledge this bad has zero religious roots, however this song speaks to me. I see a woman who is looking for the right thing in a man, then ends up throwing it away for a smooth talker who is nothing like what she was looking for, or needed. So she finally settles for a guy who doesn't look a thing like Jesus. To me this is a sorrowful song.

Deathbed, Relientk: Ok this song is a whole ten minutes long, and you know what I don't lose my focus on it one bit, normally songs that long bore me really quickly. This song is about the very rapid destruction of one mans life. From starting to smoke, to having a shotgun wedding, to his wife having an affair, a messy divorce, she takes the kids, he drinks to forget, and after all this hes dieing alone because of cancer. All of these bad decisions, all of this hopelessness. And a decision made one night changed all of that. It didn't take all of his mistakes away, he still dies, but the life he squandered away here, has no affect on the life he steps into at the end of the song.

I have other songs, but these are the big ones I can think of now. One more post and this series is finished up.

No comments:

Post a Comment