One of the ways love is defined is caring for someone more than yourself. I saw this type of love demonstrated by my brother. My brother is only a year and half my junior, and we grew up in a relativly poor family. This being said we had to share most things, be it hand me down clothes, toys, or that last slice of pie or cake. Now when theres only one slice of pie left and two boys that have to eat said pie, the slice must be split in half. 100% of the time your going to magicaly have a bigger "half" or atleast one that appeared bigger.
Now to keep things fair my mom would always make sure a diffrent one of us did the choosing of their slice everytime, ore the person who cut it had to let the other brother pick first. If we wanted to keep it as honest as possible. Now when it was my turn to pick, I did what any growing boy who liked pie would do. I selected the slice that apeared bigger to me. My brother however, with rare exception, would select the smaller slice. You could even tell him that the other slice was bigger, and he would say I know.
It wasnt like he didn't like pie, or that I was a particularly mean brother and would beat him up if he picked the better slice. He would simply pick the smaller slice because he wanted me to have the bigger one. Now his gesture wasnt all that huge and it certainly wasnt elaberate, or probly even thought out if I'm honest. But it certainly left a lasting impact. I don't recal what a single one of those treats tasted like, it was much to long ago, but I certainly remeber the love he showed me.
Another way people describe love is unending. I learned this from my parents. Most the time when I observe couples that have been married for many years. I see people who have grown fond of each other, they enjoy each others company, and would be lost if the oter wasnt there. But theres no spark no desire, the love is gone and in its place is a fondness that we call love. Not so with my parents.
My mother still calls my father by pet names, they will steal kisses when they think no one is watching and I hear them playfuly teasing each other in ways that are generaly reserved for young couples. The years have taught them how to be serious, but they have also learned how to laugh with and at each other, how to be silly and goofy and keep a old flame alive.
Not to say they havent had ups and downs, as their son ive seen them at all ends of the spectrum, but they work at it. And because of that I see two people that are still increadibly atracted to each other, even though they are both nearing the 50's. To some extent its sorta weird because they are you know my parents, but when it comes down to it I don't see any love life I would rather model mine off of then theirs.
So when I think about what I know about love I can't help but feel like I know a whole lot about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment