Tuesday, September 1, 2009

add nothing

A little while ago i was thinking about how Paul tells us not to add anything to the scriptures. I honestly have no idea why (i was thinking about it, not why Paul says it) The most notable probably being Rev 22:18-19 though in context I think this is just applying to the book of revelations its self, but there are other times when we are told not to add to any rules or laws.

And for some reason I thought of the book I had been reading Pride and prejudice and zombies. The basic point of this book is to take an old story and add in zombies. Now I have never read Pride and prejudice. So this book was at times a bit confusing for me. Obviously I knew anytime it spoke of unmentionables that was added and not Jane Austen's original text. But there were other slight additions, that sounded close enough, but I wasn't quite sure.

Fortunately I have seen the movie, so I sorta knew how the story went, but hey there is only so much a movie can do for a book, even if said movie is 5 hours long. This very absurd situation I found myself in, very much so brought the problem of adding to anything to light. The only version of Pride and prejudice I am familiar with includes flesh hungry monsters. Can you imagine what Something like that would do with scripture? Change a few lines add a little here, subtract a bit there. And presto the next person, having no prior knowledge of these events completely accepts everything you just showed him.

This can even flow into what we say, or how we act. Sure we arn't changing the Bible itself, but how many people do you know that don't read it, or do but only select parts over and over. I personally don't know how many times I have said something and people are shocked that the Bible says it. Or how many people because of repetition believe things like "cleanliness is next to Godliness" is in the Bible (by the way its not)

It just came acrossed as a very real warning to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment