Monday, June 15, 2009

In God I trust

In the time we live we hear alot about "removing" God from things. The whole people interpreting the separation of God and state the wrong way, like they have been doing for many years now. Things like removing the ten commandments from schools and courts. Taking "under God" out of the national anthem. Taking "In God we trust" off of our currency. And apparently even releasing a new dollar coin with out "In God we trust" emblazoned across the top. 
The blanket response from the church seems to be outrage, protests, or as I've seen many livid emails complaining and arguing for the high importance of keeping God in the center of it all. And after thinking about it, my response is something like: "meh. So what?" Now don't get me wrong, I would consider myself to be a devout Christian. And I think its a shame that less and less people are coming to a relationship with God. But when it comes down to it, I really could care less what the governments official stance on God is, because mine is so much more important. 
Matthew 22:15-22 says:
15Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. 16They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?" 18But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius20and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"21"Caesar's," they replied. Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." 22When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

Basically its all Caesar's money, give him whatever he asks for. And give God what is His. I mean isn't that the issue with us? It is after all the governments money, who cares what inscription they choose to put on it. In all honestly for most of us the only information we pay any attention to on a bill is that number in the corner. "In God we trust" doesn't magically make the user of the bill a christian, in much the same way the absence of it doesn't make one a pagan.  
So my question to you would be does it say "In God I trust" on your forehead? Can people not help but seeing God when they look at you? Because unfortunately "we" no longer trust in God. And to some extent we have no control over that, but we do have control over "I".

No comments:

Post a Comment